- Module for professionals wishing to specialize in commercial mediation
- 40 Continuous Professional Development hours (certified by CSMC-R)
- 5 days (10h00-18h30) + 1 evening (20h00-22h00) including dinner
- 3 trainers (Toolkit Company, NL and CH)
- Number of participants: 12 (minimum) – 20 (maximum)
- Dates: July 9, 10, 11, 13, 14, 15 2020 (N.B. July 12 is free)
- Location: Chambre de commerce, d’industrie et des services de Genève and 1 day at La Perle du Lac, Geneva, Switzerland
- Breakfast, lunch and coffee breaks included (evenings free, save for 1 night)
- Course books (Digital): Toolkit Generating Outcomesas well as Pocket Toolkit for the Commercial Mediator and Pocket Toolkit Mediation Advocacy
- +1 optional additional assessment day at the end for mediators wishing to become IMI certified or qualified) (Extra fee for Members CHF 800 and Non-Members CHF 950), on July 16 (and depending on the number of participants possibly also July17).
- For more information please contact us.
- Lectures and group discussions
- Case studies
- Summaries and checklists using practical tools that help to summarize and diagnose key concepts from a commercial mediation perspective (e.g., tools and techniques, steps in the process, interests and positions, focusing on different types of mediation and evaluative v. non-evaluative and a use of a revised Riskin Grid classification system).
- A framework for putting cultural issues (whether national, professional, or corporate) into perspective to help prepare for mediations
- Homework and reading assignments
- Use of videos
- Practice will be an important part of this course. Role plays will be used throughout the course:
- for plenary demonstrations (to cover all stages of a commercial mediation process, including post settlement agreement and non-settlement issues)
- for group sessions to practice different aspects at different stages of a commercial mediation process, including managing tough situations
In addition to learning in class participants can prepare themselves through a webinar.
Follow-up and potential IMI accreditation for mediators with at least 20 cases of experience
After the training participants who would like to go for certification have several options for add on modules that lead to certification.
- An additional 6th (and depending on the number of participants a 7th day) will be offered for the price of CHF 800/day for CSMC & FSM members or CHF 950/day for non-CSMC-FSM members, who may wish to become certified by the International Mediation Institute (IMI).
- An assessed role play will be conducted for a maximum of 6 people, who would be assessed by 2 assessors (using the Toolkit/ACB IMI tool).
Online or offline personalized coaching sessions are also available as follow-up.
Before the Course
- A questionnaire will be sent out beforehand to gauge information about the participants’ knowledge, experience and expectations. People may be organized into teams based on this information.
- Given the mix of participants expected [from beginners to mediators with a deep professional experience in mediation in general, as well as lawyers and in-house counsel, initial online sessions of 1-2 hours will be offered online before the course begins.
- The digital book Toolkit Generating Outcomes | Mediation - Negotiation will be sent to all course participants and should be reviewed.